Monday, August 3, 2009

♫ I'm not gonna brew you a love potion ♫

20:55, not even an hour after seeing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Many people had seen it before me, and many people had slated the movie in it's entirety. I've read terrible reviews, and my expectations were quite low for this film... but boy, was I pleasantly surprised!

Everyone complains about how these pictures never live up to the books, and about how much they change, or what important parts they've left out, but I simply disagree. Films and books are different. Books are filled with so much detail, and have no time-frame in which the reader needs to finish. Films however, have only two or three hours to tell a tale. They also have to be extraordinary enough to appeal to movie-goers. It is all about telling a story, and making money from it at the end of the day! It isn't about sticking to the books exactly, and putting every single little detail you think they should into it.

There are some times you need to sit back, ignore the books, ignore your critical side, and just enjoy the movie.


After pushing that side away, and shushing the person beside me who kept saying "Awh it's terrible, you're gonna hate it!" I was immediately engrossed in this magical new adventure Mr. Potter was being taken on. The special fx stunned me! I thought they were ridiculously awesome! As for the demolition of the Weasley Abode- I KNOW it wasn't in the book, but I don't care! It was a totally unexpected twist, that was used to shock the avid Potter readers! It gave the movie it's own voice! It said
"Yes, we may be based on a book, but we have our own twists and turns and aren't going to turn into a predictable pile of mediocrity."

Helena Bonham Carter's performance was amazing, as usual. However I was slightly bothered by her tendency to sniff peoples shoulders... but it all just added to the character of Bellatrix. She was enchanting... for a baddie of course.

A favourite point in the film, (also quite sad when Aragog dies), was when Harry took the Felix Felicitus potion. It was nice to see him free from all the angst and pressure. Twas Made of win ^^

After getting over the excitement of seeing the Cliffs of Mohair, finding a horcrux, and returning to the castle, came the much dreaded scene... The murder of Dumbledore brought a tear to my eye (or at least made me feel a tad emotional). It really was touching, and I knew it was going to happen. I remember feeling exactly like that when I read the books, and it felt like I was losing Albie all over again. So I applaud all involved in the film for that moment.

I know I could write more, but in actual fact I'd rather not. I could criticise, as I myself do have complaints, changes, and book-related things to write about, but I won't. I won't because no matter how much we criticise it, it won't change it. It will still be the same film, so why not just enjoy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment